Lake Lungern Switzerland is a picturesque alpine lake that captivates visitors with its pristine beauty, crystal-clear waters, and stunning mountain backdrops. Situated in the Obwalden canton, Lake Lungern is often overlooked by tourists in favor of more well-known destinations like Lake Lucerne or Lake Geneva. However, this hidden gem offers a tranquil escape, providing a range of activities for nature enthusiasts, adventure seekers, and those looking to unwind in a serene, unspoiled environment.
About Lungern Switzerland
Lungern, nestled in the Sarneraa Valley, stands as the highest village at approximately 750 meters or 2,460 feet above sea level. Surrounded by steep slopes adorned with forests and rocky terrain, it opens up only on its north side. The village is home to over 2,100 residents, with German being the primary language, followed by Albanian and French.
In Lungern, you can expect around 149.5 days of rain each year, resulting in 58.7 inches of precipitation. The wettest months are June and August, while October tends to be the driest time of the year.
What You Need To Know Before You Go
Before your journey to Lungern, Switzerland, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Weather: Switzerland’s weather can be quite changeable, including Lungern. Summers (June-August) are generally warm, but mornings and evenings can still be a bit cool. Winters (December-February) are cold and snowy, so bring warm clothing and gear for outdoor adventures.
- Currency: The official currency is the Swiss Franc (CHF). It’s a good idea to exchange some currency before your arrival. While credit cards are widely accepted, smaller shops and restaurants may prefer cash.
- Language: Swiss-German is the primary language in Lungern, but many locals also speak English. Learning basic Swiss-German phrases like hello, please, and thank you can be quite helpful.
- Transportation: Switzerland’s public transportation system is known for its efficiency and reliability. Trains are a popular way to get around, and Lungern has its own train station. Buses and taxis are also available.
- Costs: Switzerland is renowned for its high prices, and Lungern is no exception. Be prepared for elevated costs when it comes to food, accommodation, and activities. Plan your budget accordingly.
- Tipping: While not mandatory, tipping is appreciated in Switzerland. It’s common to round up to the nearest franc to show your gratitude.
7 Best Things to Do in Lungern Switzerland
1. Visit the Lake Lungern
In Lungern, they call it Lungernsee or Lungerersee and let me tell you, this lake is absolutely stunning and the star attraction of the region. Lungern Lake is embraced by majestic mountains and lush forests. You have the option to hop on a boat tour, take a dip in the pristine waters, or simply unwind on the beach.
Embarking on a boat tour across Lake Lungern is another way to bask in its tranquil beauty. As you cruise, you’ll be captivated by the breathtaking landscape, the towering mountains, and the enchanting forests that encircle this crystal-clear water wonder.
2. Go on A Hike
Lungern boasts a plethora of stunning hiking trails that deliver awe-inspiring vistas of the nearby mountains and lakes. Here are some well-loved options:
- Lungerersee Lake Loop (Moderate, 6.0 miles, 672 ft elevation gain) – Embark on a circular journey around the picturesque Lungern Lake, treating yourself to delightful views of the water and the surrounding mountains. This trail is perfect for a leisurely walk or bike ride.
- Lungern-Schönbüel Trail (Difficult, 5.3 miles, 2953 ft elevation gain) – Beginning in Lungern village, this challenging path winds its way up to Schönbüel, perched at an elevation of 1604 meters (5265 feet). As you ascend, you’ll be rewarded with breathtaking views of Lake Lungern, the adjacent mountains, and a rejuvenating waterfall along the route.
- Lungern-Turren Panorama Trail (Difficult, 7.6 miles, 4265 ft elevation gain) – Ascend to the summit of Turren and relish panoramic vistas of the neighboring mountains and valleys.
- Waldboden Trail (Easy, 3.1 miles, 394 ft elevation gain) – Meander through lush forests, meadows, and a charming little waterfall on this family-friendly trail. It offers splendid views of the mountains and Lake Lungern, making it ideal for a tranquil nature walk.
3. Visit the Pfarrkirche Herz-Jesu Church and Alter Kirchturm
Brünigstrasse, 6078 Lungern, Switzerland, map
The Lungern parish church stands majestically on a saddle at the southern edge of the town, gazing over the village from its elevated position. A grand staircase lines up perfectly with the village street.
This neo-Gothic marvel replaced the former church, which succumbed to a thunderstorm’s fury in 1887. Today, only the old church tower remains as a historic landmark. The new church, consecrated in 1893, is a tribute to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, adorned with striking sandstone columns and vibrant stained-glass windows.
At the northern gateway of the village, the Alter Kirchturm (Old Church Tower) in Lungern serves as a timeless sentinel, welcoming visitors with its enduring charm. It’s like a journey back in time, standing tall and proud.
4. Drive the Brünig Pass
The Brünig Pass promises an exhilarating Swiss rollercoaster experience! Renowned for its spectacular Swiss Alpine vistas, this mountain pass is equally famous for its twisting and turning roads that mimic the thrills of a rollercoaster ride. As you navigate the hairpin turns, you’ll get the sensation of soaring through the sky while taking in the awe-inspiring scenery. So fasten your seatbelt and prepare for an adrenaline-charged adventure on the Brünig Pass!
5. Enjoy the Views from Panoramawelt Lungern Schönbüel
Nestled in the charming village of Lungern, Switzerland, Panoramawelt Lungern Schönbüel unfolds a breathtaking panorama that leaves you spellbound. The instant you set foot on the viewing platform, it’s as though you’ve ascended to the very pinnacle of the world.
Surveying the mesmerizing landscape, you might find yourself transported into a living postcard. The azure heavens, the glistening lake waters, and the regal mountains enveloping you all come together to create the sensation of stepping into a dream.
6. Go Paragliding
Prepare to take flight like a graceful bird above the scenic terrain of Lungern! Paragliding in Lungern unfolds an indelible adventure that gifts you with a bird’s-eye perspective of the magnificent Swiss Alps and the enchanting Lake Lungern.
As you gracefully soar through the skies, you’ll sense the exhilarating surge of adrenaline and the liberating joy of flight. So, don your harness, secure your helmet, and embark on the adventure of a lifetime with paragliding in Lungern!
7. Go Shooting at Brünig Indoor
Walchistrasse 30, 6078 Lungern, Switzerland, map
When the weather turns gloomy, find solace in Brünig Indoor. Here, you can delve into the exciting world of shooting sports, whether you’re a newcomer or a seasoned pro. Nestled underground, Brünig Indoor proudly hosts the globe’s sole indoor 300-meter shooting range.
Lungern shines as a top-notch spot for skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts. You’ll find fantastic ski resorts nearby, such as Hasliberg, Melchsee-Frutt, and Engelberg-Titlis, each boasting a variety of slopes suitable for every level of expertise.
Places to Eat
- Restaurant Kaiserstuhl (Swiss)
- Restaurant Bahnhöfli
- Catina Caverna (Swiss, $)
- Restaurant Victoria (French, $$$)
Places to Stay
Our stay was just a pleasant 30-mile jaunt from Lungern, Switzerland, where we checked into the charming Sunstar Hotel Grindelwald. The hotel offered breathtaking views and showcased its natural beauty. If you’re on the lookout for more hotel options, feel free to explore the map below for additional enticing deals.
A Few Tips to Make Your Trip Wonderful
- Even though most establishments in Lungern do accept credit cards, it’s wise to have some cash on hand, just in case.
- Lungern’s weather can be quite unpredictable, so it’s a good idea to pack for all seasons. Be sure to bring warm clothing, rain gear, and comfortable shoes.
- Switzerland has its own unique customs and etiquette. It’s essential to show respect for local traditions, such as taking off your shoes before entering someone’s home.
- If hiking is on your agenda, remember to adhere to the rules and regulations of the hiking trails. Stick to the marked paths, avoid littering, and honor the natural environment.
Final Thoughts on the Best Activities to Do in Lake Lungern Switzerland
Lake Lungern, often overlooked by tourists in favor of more famous Swiss lakes, is a true hidden gem in the heart of Switzerland. This serene alpine lake and its surrounding region offer a wide range of activities, from boating and fishing to hiking and skiing, making it an ideal destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Whether you seek adventure or simply a peaceful retreat amidst breathtaking natural beauty, Lake Lungern has something for everyone. So, the next time you plan a trip to Switzerland, be sure to add Lake Lungern to your itinerary and experience the magic of this unspoiled paradise.
Make sure you check our guide for the best lakes in Switzerland.
- Top 15 Largest Lakes in Africa
- Discover the Top 6 Best Landscape Places in the World
- Klöntalersee Glarus Switzerland: Full Guide for a Great Stay
- Gelmersee Lake Switzerland: Full Guide for A Great Experience
- Lake Silvaplana Switzerland: The Serene Beauty of a Hidden Gem
- Schwarzsee Switzerland: An Enchanting Hidden Gem
- Lake St. Moritz: A Hidden Gem in the Heart of Switzerland
- Limmernsee Switzerland: A Daring Adventure for Hikers
- Oeschinen Lake Switzerland: Everything You Need to Know
- Lago Bianco Switzerland: Everything You Need to Know
- Lake Natron Mummies: Waters Transform Animals Into Stone?
- Best Lake Natron Camp for an Unforgettable Adventure
- Africa Safari Lake Natron: Best 9 Things to Do During Your Stay
- Why Is Lake Natron Dangerous?
- 19 best tropical places to visit in November
- 21 Best Places to Visit In El Salvador
- Lake Maggiore: A Serene Escape from the Bustle of City Life
- Lake Brienz Switzerland: Nature’s Majesty Meets Swiss Hospitality